Sunday 10 March 2013

This is what happen when you work for the first time in lab. :P


“What starts well, ends well.”
Something similar happened to me in the starting of last month i.e. February.
1st of feb, Friday. Day started as any other day, i was happy that finally I got some work to do in lab.
Seriously telling I never liked lab work, all these years of my engineering I hated it, I was one of them who comfortably use to sit and see others working in lab. So not to mention I had no real time experience with all precaution people follow inside lab.
                                                I met my project guide in the morning and he asked me to prepare few agar plates and inoculate it with tablets, I was very excited that finally I got some work to do. Whole day I worked though it was my first day I was little exhausted. Clock was showing 19:35 and lab shuts at 20:00 hours.
I sat to do work under Laminar Air Flow (LAF) and found out there was no alcohol present, ran to each and every lab but couldn't find it. So I went to store room and asked attender to give alcohol and he gave me 99.99% pure alcohol and I walked from there towards my work place.I poured the alcohol nicely into my hands and dipped the L-rod to perform platting, and rest of the alcohol I wiped on my hands as it acts as disinfectant. I took the L-rod near the flame to sterilize it and didn't realize that the pure alcohol that was there on the L-rod was also on my hand. My hand instantly caught fire and it took me 2sec to realize this and next 5sec to get rid of that fire.
                                                The burning sensation lasted for next 36 hours.Till that time I wasn't in a condition to say anything. I remembered later that evening when I went out with friends and I was sitting and hiding my pain, I wanted to scratch my entire hand.The sensation was killing me, than in room my roommate told me “I haven’t seen you this freaked out before.”
                                                 Later my kind hearted guide gave me 10 days leave. Yo yo. !!!!
This is how my February started. J J







No comments:

Post a Comment